Monday, May 25, 2015

Top 10 MOST POPULAR Songs of 1959

It's Monday again, which means it's time to look at the most popular songs of 1959! If you are new this week, I had a goal recently to determine what the top songs of all time were based on a formula I came up with to keep track of the Billboard charts. Here's the methodology: each year of the chart I go week by week, giving points to the songs that make the top 10. The #1 song gets 10 points, the #2 song gets 9 points, all the way down to the #10 song getting 1 point. I could've done the whole hot 100 like this, but that would've been too time consuming. Maybe one day I'll go back and do that to compare results. But not now. Also of note, when I finish each decade I'll normally give you the all-inclusive list of top 100 songs from that decade, because I do have lists of the top song of each decade in addition to the top songs of each individual year. However, since the Billboard charts only go back to 1958, it would be unfair to the rest of the 50's to post such a list this time around, so next week I'll jump right into 1960 instead of counting down the top songs of the 1950's. 1959 does have some really big songs that will be high up on the all-time songs list, so let's get right to it!

10- "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" - The Platters

9- "Stagger Lee" - Lloyd Price


8- "The Three Bells" - The Browns


7- "Come Softly to Me" - The Fleetwoods


6- "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" - Paul Anka


5- "Lonely Boy" - Paul Anka


4- "Venus" - Frankie Avalon


3- "Mr. Blue" - The Fleetwoods


2- "The Battle of New Orleans" - Johnny Horton


1- "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin



No comments:

Post a Comment