Wednesday, July 18, 2018

DrogeMiester's Billboard Analysis - July 21, 2018

The new Billboard charts have arrived and so it's time again for me to give you my thoughts! In this weekly post, I cover three sections. First, I give my thoughts on the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100. Second, I give my thoughts on the songs that experienced significant gains below the top 10. Third, I give my initial thoughts on our new arrivals this week. I reserve the right to switch things up in the future, but for now this is what I'm sticking with. I've followed the Billboard charts for a long time now and this is a great way for me to express my thoughts to the world. I hope you enjoy!

Billboard Hot 100 Top 10:




1- "In My Feelings" - Drake (+5) -- The Drake surge from last week is over, but yet it's Drake at No. 1 again with his third No. 1 hit of the year? Yeah, this really shocked me as I was totally expecting "I Like It" to return to the top. Not "In My Feelings," which was the fourth highest-charting Drake song last week. I guess that just means I wasn't following the sales and streaming numbers since my last post because this song has been going insane with 71.1 million U.S. streams and 89,000 sales, which is easily the top of both categories. But why? Well, as it turns out, the comedian Shiggy posted a video on his Instagram of Drake performing a random dance routine during a live performance and that quickly evolved into what is now known as the "In My Feelings" challenge where the whole is dancing like Drake. Because, you know, why not? We live in such a stupid age that the second someone says internet challenge, everyone has to try to get their 10 seconds of fame. But eh. Whatever. While I may be extremely annoyed by how this got No. 1, the song is one of the better Drake songs from the album. Not as good as the other No. 1 hits, "God's Plan" and "Nice for What." There's also two or three others from the album that I would also put higher. But this is decent. Better than Cardi B's song actually. I think I'm done with Drake at No. 1, though. It's time for him to share the spotlight. Or maybe the overexposure will hurt his future. I'll go for that.

2- "I Like It" - Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin (+1) -- I almost feel bad for Cardi B. She's still surging in all three categories and with the Drake album bomb out of the way, she was ready for what would've probably been a lengthy run at No. 1, especially after taking the crown on the radio charts this week, dethroning Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey with "The Middle." Now the big question will be how long does this "In My Feelings" challenge last? If it causes the song to hold the top spot for as long as "God's Plan" (11 weeks) or "Nice for What" (8 weeks total on four different trips), then Cardi Be may just have to settle with that one week she got at No. 1.

3- "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B (+2) -- Another interesting thing going on right now is that rap has been No. 1 for 25 consecutive weeks with Drake, Drake, Childish Gambino, Post Malone, XXXTENTACION, Cardi B and Drake again. As much as I would love for that streak to end because too much rap domination scares me, I certainly don't want this wannabe song to be the one to break that streak, so let's keep the rap streak going for now. I'm still baffled as to why this is still here. I mean, I'm aware of the numbers behind it. But why is it getting those numbers? What is the appeal of Maroon 5 in general at this point? And why do people care about a song that sounds like lazy album filler from an already boring band, that's barely even a band?

4- "Nice for What" - Drake (-3) -- I think it's safe to say that "Nice for What" will not be getting a fifth separate trip to the top 10. The song's fun reigning has come to end. But what a strange run it had. After said run, it totaled eight weeks at No. 1, which is fairly impressive. Drake himself has now accumulated 20 total weeks at No. 1, which is approximately two-thirds of the year. That's way too much Drake. But at least they've been enjoyable Drake songs that have reigned.

5- "Boo'd Up" - Ella Mai (+6) -- It's really happy seeing that Ella Mai managed to survive the onslaught of Drake last week. I was a bit nervous that she would be a casualty of war. But not only did she survive, she managed to come out higher than ever, locking down her first ever top five hit as an artist, which is impressive for her first ever hit on the Hot 100. I'd like to say it's Billboard's updated streaming rules that helped her, but it's actually more likely that the song was boosted by a remix which adds Nicki Minaj and Quavo. What an awful duo to add to a perfectly good song. But hey, at least it's not the remix that's credited on the Hot 100 at the moment because I still support the original, but I won't touch that remix. I got 20 seconds in and I was done.

6- "God's Plan" - Drake (-2) -- I'm not sure how much life this song has left in the top 10. It was a week or two away from disappearing altogether before the album dropped and gave it a good boost. Even though most of Drake's song's completely floored out when it comes to their streaming numbers this week, "God's Plan" managed to hang onto enough residual streaming from the album to stick around probably for at least a little bit longer. I mean, if it collapses and is gone next week, my feelings won't be hurt because it's been here for 25 weeks and will almost assuredly will be the top song of the year. But I'm guessing it will have at least a couple more weeks in the top 10.

7- "Lucid Dreams" - Juice WRLD (+9) -- You can say that Drake killed Juice WRLD's momentum as this was at No. 3 and challenging for No. 1, but I actually think it was Billboard's new streaming rules that hurt it because streaming was, and still is, the only thing holding this song up. As a reminder, Billboard now gives more weight to paid streaming services over non-paid services. So all that crap that Spotify automatically throws onto everyone's playlists, regardless of if they asked for it or not, now counts less. I think that's a great thing. I still like "Lucid Dreams," but if fake streaming was giving it an extra push, then maybe it doesn't deserve to be that high.

8- "No Tears Left to Cry" - Ariana Grande (+7) -- Another song that I'm glad to see has survived the Drake onslaught. Although this song seems destined to hang out in the bottom half of the top 10 rather than finding its way back into the top five. I'm not sure why Maroon 5 has cemented a place in the top five while Ariana can't get back, but such is life. Ariana's new song "God is a Woman" seems to be gaining a lot of traction at the moment and is set for a debut next week. I'm not going to predict a top 10 debut, but I imagine it will be somewhere in the top half of the charts.

9- "Psycho" - Post Malone (+3) -- Part of me was bracing for Post Malone to return to the top five this week after Drake's disappearance, thus I'm glad to see that he could only manage to rise three spots despite a whole bunch of Drake songs falling below it. That means the momentum for this song is finally slowing down. Unfortunately, though, that doesn't mean we're done with Post Malone as "Better Now" is rising rather quickly.

10- "SAD!" - XXXTENTACION (=) -- Much like Post Malone only rising three spots, X remaining equal this week isn't as good as it normally is because that means it's starting to lose its momentum. Which makes sense. Usually when a song gets boosted following the death of a singer, that song lasts one week before falling back down. The fact that "SAD!" has managed to maintain its momentum for multiple weeks is impressive in its own right. This is probably it's final week, though.


Rising on the Hot 100:





12- "Better Now" - Post Malone (+12) -- With Drake's album as a whole tanking this week in its second week, which isn't that surprising, we have a whole ton of rising songs this week. In fact we nearly have the whole top 50 in this section this week, so let's go through these quickly. "Better Now" was initially reported as being No. 10 this week by Billboard on Monday, before they quickly corrected that. That means it's probably a good guess that it'll be in the top 10 come next week.

13- "The Middle" - Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey (+6) -- It was a great run for "The Middle" in the top 10, which appears now to be over. It also had a great run at the top of the radio charts, which means you've probably heard this song endlessly if you listen to pop radio. An even better run for "The Middle," which is still ongoing, is that it's No. 1 on the Dance/Electronic Songs chart this week for a 24th week. Since that chart's inception in 2013, only two songs have been No. 1 for longer: "Closer" by The Chainsmokers and Halsey with 27 weeks and "Wake Me Up" by Avicii with 26 weeks. That means "The Middle" only needs four more weeks at No. 1 to set the new record. Can "One Shot" by Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa, the current No. 2 song on the chart, catch it in time?

14- "Meant to Be" - Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line (+8) -- The run for "Meant to Be" in the top 10 also seems to be officially over. It got 19 total weeks in the top 10 so that's a solid run for a country pop song. It also almost has the record for most weeks on top of the country charts, currently held by Sam Hunt's "Body Like a Back Road."

15- "Delicate" - Taylor Swift (+8) -- Taylor survived the Drake onslaught to now rise up to No. 15. I hope she can crack the top 10 and keep going. She deserves some success.

17- "Yes Indeed" - Lil Baby featuring Drake (+9) -- I'm glad that this song hasn't been able to resurface in the top 10. "Look Alive" by BlocBoy JB and Drake got 13 weeks in the top 10. I'm glad "Yes Indeed" only managed two weeks.

18- "Taste" - Tyga featuring Offset (+21) -- You'll notice that hip-hop didn't have the greatest week when it comes to this rising songs section. I think credit to that goes to the new streaming rules that give more weight to paid streaming. Unfortunately, though, that hasn't hurt all hip-hop as for some reason this piece of trash continues to rise high. I can only hope it gets slowed down before getting to the top 10.

19- "Mine" - Bazzi (+6) -- Even though this song has camped out in the teens for what seems like forever, I'm glad that it never was able to break into the top 10.

20- "Friends" - Marshmello & Anne-Marie (+13) -- I thought that this would hit top 10 after getting all the way to No. 11. I'm a little sad that it wasn't able to break through and give Marshmello his first top 10 hit. It would've been Anne-Marie's second after she was also featured on Clean Bandit's "Rockabye," which got to No. 9 in the U.S.

22- "Perfect" - Ed Sheeran (+7) -- It's impressive that "Perfect" has managed to stick around in this general area for so long. Whether or not you like the idea of this song being one of the top songs of the year is one conversation, but surprisingly this song never got old for me. I still think that it's fairly sweet, even though it's been played a lot.

23- "In My Blood" - Shawn Mendes (+8) -- Not the best week for Shawn Mendes considering that it seems like this song had more momentum in prior weeks. I'm feeling that this song is doomed to not get top 10, which I'm not shedding any tears over. Although I wouldn't have been upset with this going top 10.

24- "Tequila" - Dan + Shay (+10) -- I don't know how much higher this song will be as I'm not sure this song has the pop crossover necessary to be as huge as "Meant to Be" or "Body Like a Back Road." It seems to be that high-20's or maybe somewhere in the teens is where this will peak. I certainly hope so anyways.

25- "Love Lies" - Khalid & Normani (+21) -- This week we have to pay close attention to the songs that rose 20 spots or more because those are the real winners. And this is one of them. This is a song that has been under the radar for a few months now and I'm happy to see it gaining momentum because I think this would be a solid addition to the top 10 if it can keep this momentum going.

26- "Never Be the Same" - Camila Cabello (+9) -- I'm a little sad that Camila didn't put more effort into pushing this song. It seems like she went for "Sangria Wine" a bit too early and that blew up in her face with it only being a one-week appearance on the charts. Now to see where Camila goes from here because there's still plenty of songs from her new album that would work as singles, in my opinion. "Something's Gotta Give" is my favorite, but "She Loves Control" and "Consequences" would also be good to see as singles. We'll see what she does, though.

27- "Whatever It Takes" - Imagine Dragons (+13) -- I'm not happy to see this rising, but it is what it is. I'm just glad it missed out on getting into the top 10 because it would be awful if it got as popular as "Believer" and "Thunder."

29- "One Kiss" - Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa (+16) -- As I said previously, "One Kiss" is close to passing "The Middle" for the top spot on the Dance/Electronic charts. But will it get there before "The Middle" breaks the record? It has four weeks to play spoiler.

30- "Apes---" - THE CARTERS (+13) -- I'm happy to see Beyonce and JAY-Z's collaborative album failing, because I thought it wasn't very good based on the songs that showed up on the Hot 100 from the album. Now if we can get this song to dropout that would be good. Both artists are capable of much better.

31- "Back to You" - Selena Gomez (+18) -- I'm glad to see this song rise 18 spots, because that means there's actually a chance for it to gain more momentum going forward. I would love to see this song in the top 10. If it ends up peaking in the 20's or 30's, that will be sad because Selena deserves so much better.

32- "Look Alive" - BlocBoy JB featuring Drake (+12) -- Now I'm having nightmares of when this song wouldn't leave the top 10. I'm glad those days are over.

33- "I Like Me Better" - Lauv (+19) -- Is it just me or have pop songs this week had an especially great week? Could it be that the new streaming rules have hurt hip-hop and helped pop? That would be a great thing, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see if there's long-term effects that balance Billboard more.

34- "Moonlight" - XXXTENTACION (+13) -- This is only here because all of the Drake songs fell hard. I don't expect that I'll be bringing it up again in the future.

35- "Get Along" - Kenny Chesney (+18) -- Some good boosts for country as well this week. This I'm not upset at, but we can get some better country songs to rise if country is also getting helped out by new streaming rules.

36- "Be Careful" - Cardi B (+12) -- Cardi gets another boost, but with how strong "I Like It" is still performing, I don't think this song will have a serious shot to get too much higher in the immediate future.

37- "Simple" - Florida Georgia Line (+17) -- Florida Georgia Line has always been hit and miss for me, but this is in the hit side of things as I think this is a lot of fun as they go for a poppy, folkly feel to it.

39- "This is America" - Childish Gambino (+11) -- It was nice having Childish Gambino around, but as this was always more about the video rather than the song, it makes sense that this wasn't a long-term player.

40- "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds of Summer (+26) -- I'm not madly in love with this song from 5SOS, but I'm also not upset at it. It's a decent song to have around and is a step in the right direction for this group. I haven't bothered to check out their new album yet, so I don't know what else they have up their sleeve.

41- "Mercy" - Brett Young (+23) -- Brett Young seems to have serious traction with this song. I'm not surprised because he's rightfully gotten a lot of attention due to his previous singles. This one isn't that great, but is benefiting from his prior success. Or maybe I'm just crazy by not being impressed. Either way, I wish I was happier for this.

42- "Sit Next to Me" - Foster the People (+17) -- I sometimes forget this song exists, but it is a decent song, even though not as good as "Pumped Up Kicks" from back of the day. I still like seeing Foster the People around, so I hope this song continues to rise.

43- "Te Bote" - Casper Magico, Nio Garcia, Darell, Nicky Jam, Ozuna & Bad Bunny (+18) -- I think the only reason this song is around is how many people got shoved into it. I can only hope its life on the charts isn't much longer.

46- "Big Bank" - YG featuring 2 Chainz, Big Sean & Nicki Minaj (+21) -- Out of all the hip-hop songs to have a great week, I'm upset that this is one of them. But given the names on this song, I'm not surprised to see it rise. People love 2 Chainz, Big Sean and Nicki Minaj for some odd reason.

47- "Changes" - XXXTENTACION (+8) -- Another song from X that I don't expect to see around for much longer. It's just here because the floor disappeared from Under Drake's feet this week.

48- "Bed" - Nicki Minaj featuring Ariana Grande (+33) -- I suppose I'll take this over any other Nicki song. I mean, if "Rich Sex" were here instead of "Bed," I'd be throwing a fit. As is, this is more of whatever for me. Still not great seeing it around, though.

49- "One Number Away" - Luke Combs (+16) -- This is better than "Beautiful Crazy" and "Must've Never Met You" for Luke Combs, but I'm still not going to be too high for Luke.

50- "I was Jack (You were Diane)" - Jake Owen (+19) -- I'd much rather celebrate the success of this country song hitting the top 50. A good spin on a classic hit.

52- "Drowns the Whiskey" - Jason Aldean featuring Miranda Lambert (+18) -- It's because Miranda Lambert is featured on this song, right? Do people listening to this song realize that Jason Aldean shafted her by relegating her to backing vocals? And in the process, wrote another lazy, boring country song to go with it?

61- "Life Changes" - Thomas Rhett (+14) -- I'm not upset at Thomas Rhett having success with this song. It's a pretty decent effort from him, which is more than I'm usually able to say when he comes out with a new song.

86- "Growing Pains" - Alessia Cara (+13) -- It took a long time typing up all these songs in this section. I'm glad things slowed down a bit and I didn't have to type up the whole Hot 100 this week. But out of all the songs to get a good boost on the bottom half of the Hot 100, I'm glad this was one of them because I would love to see Alessia continue her success with this song. Our female pop singers deserve to have more spotlight.


New Arrivals:





53- "WIFI LIT" - Future -- I guess Future was feeling jealous that Drake was having all this success, so he decided to release an album of his own right after. Or mixtape, rather. Technically this is his 18th mixtape as he's only done six studio albums. It's all the same thing, though. Just a collection of awful Future songs. So whatever you want to call it, it's titled "BEASTMODE 2," a sequel to his 2015 mixtape "Beast Mode." In my opinion, he should've waited a bit and he could've optimized his success instead of having this lost in the shadow of Drake. But Future doesn't care about that type of stuff or else he wouldn't have released two albums within a week of each other last year. The winner of all of this poor marketing is me because I only have to cover four of these songs instead of all nine. My biggest problem with Future has always been his style of mumble rap that he popularized. If you love rap, then that's fine. But mumble rap is not something I've ever been able to comprehend the appeal of. Why listen to music that's incoherent mumbling? It doesn't make sense. This song falls mostly into that. I can understand it, but barely. Just autotuned mumbling with a flute sound in the background this time around. The lyrics you can understand are just him bragging about how rich he is, specifically talking about the WiFi he keeps lit while flying his private jet 20,000 feet above ground. I mean, who cares about this?

60- "Jumpsuit" - twenty one pilots -- Before we get to the rest of Future and the other uninteresting stuff from this week, we have the one song I was excited about. The return of twenty one pilots following their huge breakthrough fourth studio album "Blurryface" in 2015 that gave us hits such as "Stressed Out" and "Ride." They then got a third huge hit in 2016 with "Heathens" from the "Suicide Squad" soundtrack. Their fifth studio album "Trench" will be released in October and "Jumpsuit" is the lead-off single to that album. And yeah, this song rocks. There's moments in this song where I feel like flying like the golden eagle on the album art with how smooth and restrained the song is at times. It just soars high at those moments. But then the heaviness of the song is unleashed and it's like the eagle in the air taking a huge dive before stopping and gliding again. The construction of the song is just so awesome and the lyrics are very subtle, yet strong as he talks about how he hates the pressures of a new place and often crumbles under their weight, suggesting a fairly unstable emotional state or possibly lead singer Tyler Joseph using his music to deal with life and vent about various struggles he's going through without shoving them down the listeners throats. The song is topped off by the last 30 seconds where Tyler Joseph shows off his vocal prowess with a hint of well balanced screaming while the instrumentals leave the listener on a very heavy note as well. Thus the song ends leaving you with quite the rush of adrenaline that makes you want to go listen on repeat. I wish more songs like this would chart. Perhaps if this song finds success, it can open more doors.

65- "31 DAYS" - Future -- The second song from Future's mixtape. And this one is way more incoherent than the first one. With "WIFI LIT," at least I can understand what he's saying in his mumbling. In "31 DAYS," not only is he using his typical brand of autotuned mumbling, but he's mumbling extremely fast, so the song is literally just noise, backed up by the most basic production you can get in long, blocky verses. Looking at the lyrics is almost useless because it's all nonsensical. But I looked at them anyways and I still can't understand this song. Something about being with a girl for 31 days and a whole bunch of other random crap. I'm beginning to think he started recording this mixtape the second Drake dropped his album and got it out a few days later.

71- "CUDDLE MY WRIST" - Future -- Cuddle my wrist? What the heck, Future? Why not tell the girl to cuddle with all of you and not just your wrist? Oh. Because you have a lot of jewelry on and you want to brag about it. Makes sense. But it still causes me to roll my eyes. I'll give kudos to this song for having a chorus and verses, thus maintaining some semblance of structure. But said chorus is just him repeating the title of the song and that's the only part of the song I can understand. The rest is just incoherent mumbles. The lyrics of said incoherent verses are just about of name brands and other bragging about wealth. Have I ever told you that's the most boring subject to rap about?

73- "Millidelphia" - Meek Mill featuring Swizz Beatz -- I wondered when Meek Mill would show up on the charts. Granted, he had plenty of songs charting last year, none of which I cared for, but I knew that more was coming from him following his release from in April. I remember that date specifically because it was breaking news on SportsCenter that Meek Mill was being released from prison and immediately flown to the Philadelphia 76ers playoff game that night. Why ESPN ever cared about this is beyond me as it had little to do with sports. It just made me facepalm at the coverage. But yeah, Meek Mill has had a lot of legal issues following a 2008 arrest where he was charged with illegal possession of a firearm and assault a police officer when he was 18. Then he's had all sorts of issues with breaking his parole that has had him in and out of prison since. He got arrested again last year after allegedly assaulting two pedestrians in an airport. Yet at the same time, he's been trying to fight the criminal justice system because he claims unfair treatment from some of the officers and judges handling his case, which is why he got out of prison momentarily despite a sentence of two to four years being handed out this past November. He's out pending the outcome of the appeal. All of this I don't really care for as I have a hard time feeling bad for a thug who can't stay out of prison because he doesn't know how to behave himself.

Yet despite me not caring, I bring all that up for the sake of context behind this song because understanding all of that will help one understand the references here because that's what he's driving home here. Meek is back and he's lashing out against the unfair justice system and all of the people who would rather see him locked up. Again, I don't really care for all the drama behind this. If he violated his parole for the upteenth time and is guilty of assault, then throw the man in prison until he has learned his lesson. That said, the song itself is really intense. It has a dark, heavy production and Meek actually brings an intensity to his lyrics and delivery that are highlighted quite well with the chanting throughout this song. Anyone who is a fan of Meek is going to love this song and I certainly don't blame. It is possible that Meek also has decent timing here because after listening to a bunch of lazy autotuned mumbling from Future, it's a bit refreshing hearing a a rapper with decent rapping skills and excellent delivery. The genre is still not my cup of tea and I'm not really on Meek's side with the legal stuff, but this song I can respect. There's a whole lot worse on the charts this week.

76- "RACKS BLUE" - Future -- Thank heavens that this is the final Future song this week. Of the four, this is the best one, although that's not a very high bar to jump over. This is the best of the four mainly because it's the most coherent and has a nice little piano melody in the background. And it's the one song that seems like he's trying to say something about his life rather than mumbling about how rich he is. Although I don't think his thoughts he's trying to say are fully realized and there's still plenty of flexing in the song about his riches, so it's not a complete pass by any means. It just happens to be a hair better than the other three piles of trash that charted this week.

79- "Dangerous" - Meek Mill featuring Jeremih & PnB Rock -- Meek surprised me with his intensity and passion in "Millidelphia," but the big question here is can he bring that same intensity to a second song or does he have only one powerful anthem in him? Unfortunately it's more along the lines of the second option there because this song is a lot less interesting musically. It does provide a good balance to "Millidelphia" as it's softer and more melodic, but there's just not much passion here from Meek himself as he's just talking about him being with a girl. Meek's first verse has him talking about how dangerous the girl is in this new relationship while is second verse is more self-centered on what he brings to the table. Granted, it's still much better than anything Future brought to the table this week, but I'm not that into it. The best part of the song, though, is actually not Meek Mill. It's Jeremih and PnB Rock as they as combine for a very smooth, melodic intro that also balances quite well on the choruses. I'd almost rather take Meek completely out of the song and listen to a version of this with just the two of them. That might be pretty good.

83- "Drug Addicts" - Lil Pump -- Ladies and gentlemen, we've just hit the lowest of lows when it comes to the music industry. Granted, rappers rap about drugs all the time. Also, musically speaking, this isn't as annoying as Lil Pump's own "Gucci Gang" or as awful as pretty much anything 6ix9ine has released, but 17-year-old Lil Pump has now released a song explicitly about how him and everyone in his gang are all drug addicts and he spends the whole time rapping about how amazing it is do drugs, how long he's been doing drugs and how he doesn't care what anyone says about it. And that, kids, is the exact type of mindset that will cause you to drop dead of a drug overdose before you turn 30. I don't know what this is a response to or why he chose to explicitly release a song about how awesome it is to do drugs, but for the sake of his family and friends closest to him, I really hope this isn't his mindset in real life. If it is, I hope he changes his life around. And more importantly, I hope all of the punk teenagers listening to this aren't influenced by him to develop the mindset that drugs are cool. That's what scares me the most and that's why this song is absolutely despicable.

88- "Jackie Chan" - Tiesto & Dzeko featuring Preme & Post Malone -- I was wondering when this song was going to show up. This debuted on the Dance/Electronic Songs chart back in early June and has been dominating there ever since. Currently it's at No. 4 on that list. Now the reason why I was wondering when it was going to show up was not because of Tiesto and Dzeko themselves, but because of the Post Malone feature and the world is in love with Post Malone right now for some reason. In actuality, this song is a remix. The original was released earlier this year and is a Preme song featuring Post Malone. And it's a really horrible song that I'm glad didn't chart on its own. What Tiesto and Dzeko did was take the vocals from that song and insert them into their own production. Yeah, that means the dumb lyrics and lazy delivery from our two vocalists are the exact same. Post Malone talks about meeting a girl who isn't ready for a relationship, so he orders sushi from Japan and now she's ready to kick it like Jackie Chan. Well, I don't know if Post Malone knows this, but Jackie Chan is actually Chinese, not Japanese, which is why these lyrics are stupid. And Preme isn't much better as he's just lazily talking about wanting to get with the girl. But what takes this from awful to tolerable is the production from Tiesto and Dzeko whose dance beats in the song are off the charts and super fun. I just wish they would've picked a different song to remix so that I could be happier that they're around on the Hot 100.

96- "Kream" - Iggy Azalea featuring Tyga -- Remember when Iggy Azalea was actually a thing? It seems like so long ago. And it is surprising how she became so huge with songs like "Fancy" and "Black Widow" while featuring on Ariana Grande's "Problem," all top five hits in 2014 with "Fancy" going No. 1, but then completely disappearing off the face of the Earth. It's not that she hasn't tried. It's just that every time she tries to release a new song or feature on someone else's song, no one seems to care. Poor Iggy. Truth be told, I'd prefer her over Nicki and Cardi, although that's not really saying much. And with this latest attempted comeback, she's certainly not helping herself out as this sounds like an embarrassingly awful Nicki Minaj ripoff song. And I don't even like Nicki. She's as raunchy as Nicki while singing about sex and money like Nicki does, but has no personality at all and just sounds desperate. I mean, you listen to this and "Fancy" back to back and suddenly "Fancy" sounds like a classic in comparison. If this new direction is what Iggy is attempting with a comeback, maybe we should just continue to ignore her or send her back to Australia until she figures out how to do this thing called music.

No comments:

Post a Comment