Thursday, December 21, 2017

Top 10 MOST POPULAR Songs of 2017

Earlier this year I officially completed my major Billboard project in which I went week by week starting in 1958, the first year of the Billboard Hot 100, giving points to each song that made the top 10, with the No. 1 song getting 10 points, the No. 2 song getting nine points, down to the No. 10 song getting one point. This I did in order to determine what the most popular songs of each year, each decade and of all-time were. You can find those results in the archives of this blog. But given that music never really ends, this project is technically an ongoing project and will be for as long as the Billboard Hot 100 exists. With the Billboard calendar year of 2017 now over, yes they got a week ahead of everyone else, which they're fixing in 2018, it's time to officially reveal the top 10 most popular songs of 2017 according to my previously established formula.

Yes, it's worth noting that Billboard released their own list of top songs of the year and, while my goal was never to replicate their list, there are three major reasons why this list is different than their's. First, they have actual chart points that I don't have access to. Second, they keep track of the entire Hot 100 whereas I only keep track of the top 10 due to time restraints. Third, they go from December through November when creating their end of year lists so that they can have it out in early December whereas I, like normal people, count the year from January through December. So take this for what it is. Just my personal project. Nothing official. But hey, our top three matched this year, so I must've done something right. My personal favorite and least favorite songs of the year are coming soon. Look forward to those!

10- "I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)" - Zayn & Taylor Swift


9- "Humble." - Kendrick Lamar


8- "Wild Thoughts" - DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna & Bryson Tiller


7- "I'm the One" - DJ Khaled featuring Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper & Lil Wayne


6- "Bad and Boujee" - Migos featuring Lil Uzi Vert


5- "rockstar" - Post Malone featuring 21 Savage


4- "Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)" - Cardi B


3- "That's What I Like" - Bruno Mars


2- "Despacito" - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber


1- "Shape of You" - Ed Sheeran

1 comment:

  1. Honorable mentions:

    11- "1-800-273-8255" - Logic featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid
    12- "Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay
    13- "Closer" - The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
    14- "Unforgettable" - French Montana featuring Swae Lee
    15- "Believer" - Imagine Dragons
    16- "Havana" - Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug
    17- "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons
    18- "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift
    19- "Mask Off" - Future
    20- "Black Beatles" - Rae Sremmurd featuring Gucci Mane

    ReplyDelete