Thursday, December 27, 2018

Top 10 MOST POPULAR Songs of 2018

The year has come to a close and thus it's time to reveal the results of my ongoing Billboard project with the most popular songs of 2018. If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say "Billboard project," a few years back I got curious as to what the most popular songs of all-time were based on a formula I came up with to keep track of the Billboard charts. So I started in 1958, the first year that the Billboard Hot 100 was officially created, and I went week by week giving points to songs that made the top 10. The No. 1 song got 10 points, the No. 2 song got nine points, and so on until the No. 10 song got one point. After I finished doing that, I created this specific blog so I could have a place to post the results. So yeah, one week at a time I posted a new top 10 list for a specific year until I ran out of years to post about, which is when I then posted the final results. Said final results were posted last year. If you're curious about any specific year or that all-time list, you can search the archives of this blog or ask me and I can give you the links. But for now, here's the final results of how 2018 turned out, which was not a pleasant year for me when it came to popular music.

I also do like pointing out each year that my point in this was never to recreate Billboard's official lists. As they do each year, they posted their top songs of 2018 early in December. If you want to go look at that list, head over to Billboard.com and check it out. They have all sorts of fancy lists from each year of the charts that are often fun to look through. If you do, you'll note that my list is quite a bit different from there's, especially this year. There's three reasons for that. First, they have access to actual chart points that I don't have access to. That's kinda of a big deal. Second, they keep track of the entire Hot 100. I don't do that because that would be extremely time-consuming, so I'm content with sticking to the top 10. Third, their tracking year starts in December and finishes in November so that they can post their list at the beginning of December. I think that's weird. My calendar year starts in January and finishes in December, so that's what I go by. I don't care if internet traffic is a bit slower after the holidays. It feels right to include December on the charts in the year that it actually belongs. So with all of that out of the way, let's take a look at the most popular songs of 2018.

10- "Better Now" - Post Malone 


9- "SICKO MODE" - Travis Scott


8- "In My Feelings" - Drake


7- "Nice for What" - Drake


6- "Lucid Dreams" - Juice WRLD 


5- "I Like It" - Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin


4- "Perfect" - Ed Sheeran 


3- "Psycho" - Post Malone featuring Ty Dolla $ign


2- "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B


1- "God's Plan" - Drake

1 comment:

  1. Honorable Mentions:

    11- "Meant to Be" - Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line
    12- "Havana" Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug
    13- "Finesse" - Bruno Mars & Cardi B
    14- "rockstar" - Post Malone
    15- "Happier" - Marshmello & Bastille
    16- "The Middle" - Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey
    17- "thank u, next" - Ariana Grande
    18- "FeFe" - 6ix9ine featuring Nicki Minaj & Murda Beatz
    19- "Look Alive" - BlocBoy JB featuring Drake
    20- "Without Me" - Halsey

    ReplyDelete