Tuesday, February 18, 2020

DrogeMiester's Top 30 FAVORITE Songs of the 2010s

How does one summarize an entire decade's worth of music into one single post? This is the task that I set out to do this week and it was a rather daunting one. Creating lists of things is something I find fun, if you couldn't tell. And I've made lots of different lists this past decade, especially since starting this particular blog about mid-decade. But this felt like something completely different. This is more than just me taking a group of songs from a certain year or era and putting them all together. This was an opportunity for me to reflect upon life and try to tell my story from the last decade through a series of songs that really represent who I am and the journey that I have gone through. Thus I took this super seriously. And in doing so, I took all of my end-of-year lists from the past decade and completely scrambled them, mashed them together, then moved things around more in order to come up with the appropriate group of songs that made the most impact on me this past decade. I don't know if anyone remembers specific orders of songs from past years' lists, but if you do then you might find yourself quite surprised at how things have shaken up here because it is quite a bit different. And that's perfectly OK in my mind because it shows evolution in taste.

In terms of the parameters of this list, these are new songs that debuted on the Hot 100 during the past decade, from 2010 to 2019. Why do they have to have had to debut on the Hot 100? Because otherwise this would be nearly impossible. There's probably thousands of songs that get written every year and I've only scratched the surface of what I've discovered. So I like having a tangible pool to work with. It makes the task manageable. And if you're curious, at some point this year I will reveal the final results of the most popular songs of the decade. I'm just waiting for a few more songs to finish out their runs in the top 10 so that I can determine what decade they belong in. If you're too impatient to wait for that, Billboard revealed their "official" list weeks ago. Go search it out on their site. My list will have plenty of similarities, but also some significant differences, so look forward to that. And finally, why 30 songs this time around when I usually do a top 10 with 10 honorable mentions? Well... that's just how it panned out this time. I was actually going for 25, but there ended up being a few songs that I just couldn't leave out, so I went 30. If you feel like letting me know what your favorite songs of the decade are, with whatever stipulations, I would love to hear!

30- "Shut Up and Dance" - WALK THE MOON


29- "lovely" - Billie Eilish & Khalid


28- "Glory" - Common & John Legend


27- "Wake Me Up" - Avicii


26- "Summertime Sadness" - Lana Del Rey & Cedric Gervais


25- "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia featuring John Martin


24- "Clarity" - Zedd featuring Foxes


23- "Alive" - Krewella


22- "Levitate" - Hadouken!


21- "Found / Tonight" - Ben Platt & Lin Manuel Miranda


20- "Rainbow" - Kacey Musgraves


19- "Praying" - Kesha


18- "Liability" - Lorde


17- "Somebody That I Used to Know" - Gotye featuring Kimbra


16- "Sail" - AWOLNATION


15- "Lights" - Ellie Goulding


14- "Prayer in C" - Robin Schulz & Lilly Wood & The Prick


13- "Rather Be" - Clean Bandit featuring Jess Glynne


12- "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne


11- "BURN IT DOWN" - Linkin Park


10- "Anything Could Happen" - Ellie Goulding


9- "Sweet Nothing" - Calvin Harris featuring Florence Welch


8- "Animals" - Martin Garrix


7- "The Sound of Silence" - Disturbed


6- "See You Again" - Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth


5- "Set Fire to the Rain" - Adele


4- "Stereo Love" - Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina


3- "Lazarus" - David Bowie


2- "Titanium" - David Guetta featuring Sia


1- "Chandelier" - Sia


No comments:

Post a Comment