Thursday, May 18, 2017

DrogeMiester's Top 20 FAVORITE Hits of All-Time

My first post on this blog for this Billboard project of mine was on May 18, 2015. That's when I posted the top 10 most popular songs of 1958. Since I have a thing for numbers and dates, I thought it would be fitting to reveal the final post in this project on the exact two year anniversary of when I started, May 18, 2017.

If you missed my all-time countdown from this project that I posted during the past two weeks, here's the link to start that countdown. You can also browse through the blog archive on the right to view any post that I've done as a part of this project. After I finished posting the top songs of each decade during this project, I made sure to post of list of my personal favorite songs from that decade. So it's only fitting that after posting my list of the most popular songs of all-time that I would top it off with a list of my favorite songs of all time. Again, I'll still be maintaining this blog moving forward with my weekly Billboard analysis and any other projects that I come up with, but this post is the absolute grand finale of this specific two-year Billboard project.

In the title of this post, I use the word "hits" because my one parameter for this list is that the song had to make the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 in order to be considered. That narrows my pool from every song ever written to a list of 4,718 songs that have made the top 10 from 1958 to 2016. Being that I already created lists of my favorite hits from each decade, I simply took those lists and combined them together, giving me a very manageable pool of about 120 songs considered. Thus this list was a lot less daunting to make than it sounds. While it would be fun to create a list that's more inclusive of every song written or any song that made the Hot 100 at all, that's just too many songs to sift through, thus I wouldn't be comfortable with the final result because of the fear of missing something. That's the same reason I haven't made a list of my all-time favorite movies on my main blog. I haven't seen every movie ever made or even got close to seeing all the movies I want to see.

I have actually created a list like this before. I quickly threw together a list of my favorite songs in March 2012, which was long before this blog existed and towards the beginning of my main blog when I was still experimenting and new to blogging. I was inspired to do that list after creating a list of my favorite Disney songs in February 2012. Just like I recently updated my favorite Disney songs list ahead of the release of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" remake earlier this year, it's definitely time for an update of my favorite songs, too. My big mistake with my list five years ago was assuming that all my favorite songs were already a part of my iTunes library, which was very small back then. I also didn't put a whole ton of thought into it. Not as much as this time around, anyways, which I have the huge advantage of having just completed this Billboard project. Here's my initial 2012 list if you are curious enough to compare. There is some crossover, actually. But not much. And yes, part of that is due to my current parameters that the songs had to make the top 10.

My final comment before we dive into this list is a quick note that in the parentheses after each song is the year it entered the top 10 followed by the spot it peaked at in the top 10. That being just for fun. Now with all of that out of the way, let's begin!

20- "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" - Eiffel 65 (2000 - No. 6)


19- "Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls (1998 - No. 9)


18- "In the End" - Linkin Park (2002 - No. 2)


17- "Another Night" - Real McCoy (1994 - No. 3) 


16- "Gangsta's Paradise" - Coolio featuring L.V. (1995 - No. 1)


15- "Lose Yourself" - Eminem (2002 - No. 1)


14- "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (1992 - No. 6)


13- "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" - Journey (1983 - No. 8)


12- "Take on Me" - a-ha (1985 - No. 1)


11- "99 Luftballons" - Nena (1984 - No. 2)


10- "Bring Me to Life" - Evanescence featuring Paul McCoy (2003 - No. 5)


9 - "Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees (1978 - No. 1)


8- "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (1969 - No. 7)


7- "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" - Eurythmics (1983 - No. 1)


6- "Titanium" - David Guetta featuring Sia (2012 - No. 7)


5- "Chandelier" - Sia (2014 - No. 8)


4- "Dream On" - Aerosmith (1976 - No. 6)


3- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkle (1970 - No. 1)


2- "Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey (1981 - No. 9)


1- "My Immortal" - Evanescence (2004 - No. 7)


Click here to see my favorite hits of the 1960's
Click here to see my favorite hits of the 1970's
Click here to see my favorite hits of the 1980's
Click here to see my favorite hits of the 1990's
Click here to see my favorite hits of the 2000's

No comments:

Post a Comment